- Professor Edward Walker was interviewed on CSPAN BookTV for his book "Grassroots for Hire"
Professor Edward Walker was interviewed on CSPAN BookTV for his book "Grassroots for Hire". Congratulations Ed.
- Joshua Bloom's book "Black Against Empire: THe History and Politics of the Black Panther Party" is the winner of the American Book Award
It is a tremendous pleasure to announce that graduate student Joshua Bloom's book "Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party" (co-authored with Waldo Martin) is the winner of the American Book Award.
Josh is in great company with Jamaica Kincaid, Audre Lorde, Henry Louis Gates, bell hooks, Art Spiegelman, Don DeLillo, Edward Said, Isabel Allende, Cornel West, and others as previous winners.
Big Congratulations to Josh!
- Francisco López-Flores was awarded an education grant from Mexico.
Congratulations to Francisco López-Flores, an Undergraduate Student who was awarded an education grant from Mexico.
Francisco was nominated for the award by Professor Rubén Hernández-León.
- UCLA is hosting the Fourth International Conference on Conversation Analysis
- Prof. Ka-Yuet Liu was selected as a 2014-2015 UCLA Hellman Fellow
- Sociology Intranet now online!
For department use only.
- Suzanne Bianchi
Suzanne Bianchi, Dorothy Meier Chair in Social Equities and Distinguished Professor, passed away on November 4th, 2013. She received her PhD from the University of Michigan and her research focused on the American family, time use and gender equality. She is survived by her three children, Jen, James and Josh, and her husband, Mark.
- ASA Conference Award Winners 2013 - UCLA
Graduate students, faculty and alumni of our department received several awards for their scholarly work at the 2013 ASA Conference in New York City.
Congratulations to all!
- Recipient of the Sociology Award for Research Excellence
The $500 prize for Sociology majors (graduating seniors) for best research paper or critical essay submitted in a Sociology course in this academic year was awarded to Erika Harvey for "Hair Saloons as a Social Construction Zone." This paper draws on the student's observations of social interactions in three different hair salon, which are analyzed in light of several research studies from sociology of gender literature. In this lucid and interesting paper, Harvey convincingly shows how hair salons are a place where gender and sex category norms are simultaneously upheld, challenged, and debated.
- Spotlight Sociology’s Distinguished Alumni Panel -Where My Sociology Degree Has Taken Me
Wednesday May 15th
- NEWSLETTER | SUMMER 2013
Available To Read Or Download Now!
- Sociology Department Panel & Reception to celebrate the publication of Michael Mann's Sources of Social Power, volumes III & IV
- Prospective Sociology Major Info Meeting
Haines Hall 39
- Spotlight Sociology Public Lecture Series
Spotlight Sociology Public Lecture Series
Abigail Saguy will discuss her book "What's Wrong With Fat?"
Wed. March 13th
Haines Hall 39
- Summer 2012 Newsletter
- Sociology Graduate Student Placements
- Harold Garfinkel Memorial
A commemoration of the life and achievements of Professor Harold Garfinkel
- Mignon Moore Distinguished Teaching Award 2012
- Professor Jennie Brand author of ASR's most downloaded article 2010
Sage publishing have announced that Professor Jennie Brand's article "Who Benefits Most from College?: Evidence for Negative Selection in Heterogeneous Economic Returns to Higher Education", published in American Sociological Review, was the most downloaded article in 2010.
- Darnell Hunt wins UCLA award
Professor Darnell Hunt has won the UCLA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award
- William Roy, Author Meets Critics Video
Professor William Roy discussed his latest book "Reds, Whites, and Blues".
- Professor Stefan Timmermans announced as new Chair of the Department of Sociology
On May 4, 2011 Professor Alessandro Duranti, Dean of Social Sciences, announced that Professor Stefan Timmermans has accepted the appointment of Chair of the Department of Sociology.
- Harold Garfinkel 1917-2011
Professor Emeritus Harold Garkfinel passed away at his home Pacific Palisades, California on April 21. He was 93.
- Spring 2011 Newsletter
The Spring 2011 Newsletter is now available to download
- Letter from the Chair
Professor Roy describes how UCLA Sociology continues to thrive despite difficult economic circumstances